Data Protection Policy (May 2018)
Life Stream Church recognises the importance of the correct and lawful treatment of personal data protection
. Please see APPENDIX 1 for a list of what personal data the church may hold.
Life Stream Church uses personal data about living individuals for the purpose of general church administration and communication. All personal data, whether it is held on paper, on computer or other media, will be subject to the appropriate legal safeguards as specified in the General Data Protection Regulation 2017
Life Stream Church fully endorses and adheres to the eight principles of the GDPR. These principles specify the legal conditions that must be satisfied in relation to obtaining, handling, processing, transportation and storage of personal data. Employees and any others who obtain, handle, process, transport and store personal data for Life Stream Church must adhere to these principles.
- The principles require that personal data shall:
- Be processed fairly and lawfully and shall not be processed unless certain conditions are met.
- Be obtained for a specified and lawful purpose and shall not be processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose.
- Be adequate, relevant and not excessive for those purposes.
- Be accurate and where necessary, kept up to date.
- Not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose.
- Be processed in accordance with the data subject’s rights.
- Be kept secure from unauthorised or unlawful processing and protected against accidental loss, destruction or damage by using the appropriate technical and organisational measures.
- Not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area, unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.
Please see the below Database selection point 4.
1. Maintaining Confidentiality
Life Stream Church will treat all your personal data and confidential as private and confidential and not disclose any data about you, without your written consent, to anyone other than the leadership and ministry overseers/co-coordinators of the church in order to facilitate the administration and day-to-day ministry of the church.All Life Stream Church staff and volunteers who have access to Personal Data will be required to agree to sign this Data Protection Policy.
There are four exceptional circumstances to the above permitted by law:
- Where we are legally compelled to do so.
- Where there is a duty to the public to disclose.
- Where disclosure is required to protect your interest.
- Where disclosure is made at your request or with your consent.
2.Use of Personal InformationLife Stream Church will use your personal data for three main purposes:
- The day-to-day administration of the church; e.g. pastoral care and oversight including calls and visits, preparation of ministry rotas, maintaining financial records of giving for audit and tax purposes.
- Contacting you to keep you informed of church activities and events.
- Statistical analysis; gaining a better understanding of church demographics. N.B. although collated church data may be passed to a third party, such as number of small groups or small group’s attendance, no personal data will be disclosed.
The DatabaseInformation contained on the database will not be used for any other purposes than set out in this section. The database is accessed through the cloud (ChurchBox) and therefore, can be accessed through any computer or smart device with internet access.
- Access to the database is strictly controlled through the use of name specific passwords, which are selected by the individual.
- Those authorised to use the database only have access to their specific area of use within the database. This is controlled by the Data Controller and other specified administrators. These are the only people who can access and set these security parameters.
- People who will have secure and authorised access to the database include Life Stream Church Staff, Ministry Team Leaders and Life Stream Church Trustees and Treasurer.
- The database will NOT be accessed by any authorised users outside of the EU, in accordance with the Data Protection Act, unless prior consent has been obtained from the individual whose data is to be viewed.
- All access and activity on the database is logged and can be viewed by the Database Controller.
- Subject Access – all individuals who are the subject of personal data held by Life Stream Church are entitled to:
- Ask what information the church holds about them and why.
- Ask how to gain access to it.
- Be informed how to keep it up to date.
- Be informed what Life Stream Church is doing to comply with its obligations under the 2017 Data Protection Act.
- Personal data will not be passed onto any third parties outside of the church environment.
- Subject Consent – The need to process data for normal purposes has been communicated to all data subjects. In some cases. If the data is sensitive, for example, information about health, race or gender, express consent to process the data must be obtained.
Rights to Access InformationEmployees and other subjects of personal data held by Life Stream Church have the right to access any personal data that is being held in certain manual filing systems. This right is subject to certain exemptions: Personal Information may be withheld if the information relates to another individual.Any person who wishes to exercise this right should make the request in writing to the Life Stream Church Data Controller, Elizabeth Holdcroft (email email@example.com using the standard letter which is available online from www.ico.gov.ukIf personal details are inaccurate, they can be amended upon request.Life Stream Church aims to comply with requests for access to personal information as quickly as possible, but will ensure that it is provided within 30 days of receipt of a completed form unless there is good reason for delay. In such cases, the reason for delay will be explained in writing to the individual making the request.
What is personal data?
Date of birth
Mobile phone number
Identification of persons using gift aid
Results of DBS checks
Contact us if you have any queries.